Super Bowl MVP Odds
There are many different wagers you can place on the Super Bowl. Obviously, the most popular are going to be the side and the total on the game. After that, there are endless props that bettors have access to. One of the most popular prop bets is which player is going to win the MVP award.
The winner is chosen by a fan vote during the game and by a panel of 16 American Football writers and broadcasters who vote after the game. The media panel’s ballots count for 80 percent of the vote, while the viewers’ ballots make up the other 20 percent. Fans were first able to vote in the 2001 Super Bowl, and they can do so on the internet or with their cell phones.
Not surprisingly, Colin Kaepernick and Joe Flacco are the favorites to win the MVP in Super Bowl XLVII. A quarterback has won the award in 25 of 48 games all-time. Joe Montana is the only player to have won the award three times. Both quarterbacks in this 2013 edition will be playing in the Super Bowl for the first time Sunday. Here is a look at the players and their odds to win the MVP, and also a few notes about the favorites.
Colin Kaepernick, QB (7/4) – The electrifying quarterback of the 49ers has shined brightest in these playoffs. He has thrown for 496 yards and three touchdowns with one interception, while also rushing for 202 yards and two scores in wins over the Packers and Falcons heading in.
Joe Flacco, QB (11/4) – Wanting to prove he belongs among the elite quarterbacks, Flacco has been nothing short of brilliant down the stretch. He has thrown 10 touchdowns an zero interceptions in his last five games, including an 8-0 ratio in the playoffs. He already has more playoff road wins than any QB in NFL history.
Frank Gore, RB (7/1) – The workhorse back for the 49ers has rushed for 209 yards and three touchdowns in two playoffs games. He’ll certainly be the focal point of the offense once again in the Super Bowl.
Ray Lewis, LB (7/1) – Lewis has led the Ravens in tackles in each of their three playoff victories. He has registered at least 13 stops in every game, and a total of 44 for the postseason. He announced he would retire after this season, so if the Ravens win, he’ll certainly have that working for him as the voters want to send him out with that MVP trophy.
Ray Rice, RB (10/1) – Rice has rushed for 247 yards and two touchdowns, while also catching four balls for 69 yards in the playoffs. He is the biggest playmaker on the Ravens’ offense and they would be wise to get him the ball as many times as possible against San Francisco.
Michael Crabtree, WR (14/1) – Crabtree has become the receiver the 49ers were hoping for when they drafted him in the first round a few years back. He’s really making a name for himself in these playoffs, catching 15 balls for 176 yards and two touchdowns.
Anquan Boldin, WR (16/1) – The veteran wideout has stepped up big in the postseason for Baltimore when it has mattered most. Boldin has 16 receptions for 276 yards and three touchdowns in three playoff games. He’ll be the go-to guy on 3rd down against the 49ers.
Vernon Davis, TE (18/1) – While Davis’ production has dropped since the 49ers switched from Smith to Kaepernick at quarterback, he proved in the NFC Championship game that he’s still a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses. Davis had five receptions for 106 yards and a score against the Falcons.
Torrey Smith, WR (20/1) – Smith is just a big play waiting to happen for the Ravens. If he can match his performance against Denver, in which he caught three balls for 98 yards and two touchdowns, who could very well steal the MVP award. Flacco likes to look for him deep at least a handful of times throughout the game.
Ed Reed, FS (33/1) – A guy I believe who is getting overlooked is Ed Reed, who is arguably the best safety in NFL history. He’ll be prepared to try and take away some of those balls over the middle of the field that Kaepernick likes to throw. Also, Reed is sometimes used as a punt returner, which gives him another chance to get his hands on the ball and make something happen for his team.
Aldon Smith, LB (40/1) – The pass-rushing specialist in San Francisco will certainly have a chance to put his stamp on this game against the immobile Flacco. Smith led the league with 19.5 sacks this season, and if he can get Flacco down at least two or three times while forcing a fumble, he could very well be the MVP.
Rest of Field:
Dennis Pitta 40/1
Randy Moss 40/1
Patrick Willis 50/1
Terrell Suggs 50/1
Bernard Pollard 66/1
Dashon Goldson 66/1
David Akers 66/1
LaMichael James 66/1
NaVorro Bowman 66/1
Bernard Pierce 75/1
Justin Tucker 75/1
Ted Ginn Jr. 75/1
Alex Smith 100/1
Delanie Walker 100/1